A practical video course based on the Microcopy book!
The Microcopy Course
Learn to write clear, concise language for critical UI components with this introductory video-based course from Kinneret Yifrah.
Price: US $229
Do you work on a product team? This course is for you! Learn to craft compelling interface copy.
Small text, BIG impact
This video-based course teaches how to write powerful microcopy for excellent user experiences.
Manage the UX writing
Perfect for product managers, designers, developers, marketers, and teams without a dedicated UX writer.
Master the basics
Learn best practices for buttons, alerts, error and success messages, forms, empty states, and more.
Write with confidence
Follow step-by-step, tried and tested methods to apply engaging, highly-effective copy that you’ll be proud of.
Why you should learn to write great microcopy
Microcopy has a big impact on product success. Every touchpoint is another reason for users to love your product—or abandon it completely. If you’re doing the writing for any digital product, this course is for you.
In this video-based course, you’ll learn priceless best practices for creating messages that guide users in common scenarios including buttons, empty states, forms, errors, and success messages.
Who should take this course
Everyone on a product team should ideally know how to write great microcopy. This introductory course is made for professionals looking to communicate clear, engaging, useful information that helps users easily complete tasks:
- Designers who want to level up the language presented in their mockups
- Writers of all stripes who want to brush up on writing for user experiences
- Product managers who want to boost their cross-functional leadership
- Marketing specialists who want to create positive customer experiences
- Developers who want to improve the digestibility of user-facing messaging
- And more!
What the course provides
- 2 hours of on-demand video to watch at your own speed
- Online exercises to practice and reinforce what you learn
- Full lifetime access to reference throughout your career journey
- Spanish and English subtitles available for English-language learners
- 30% off code for the full Microcopy e-book
- Note: This course does not offer certification
- Understand the role of a UX writer
- Learn about the most common responsibilities of a UX writer
- Learn 10 best practices from UX Writers Collective
- What is a brand voice and how will it help achieve businesses’ and users’ goals
- Defining a brand or product’s personality
- How personality influences writing style
- How language helps differentiate the brand/product
- Finding the right messages that are unique to your brand/product
- Maintaining a brand’s voice when addressing different target groups
- Writing for a brand with a widely diverse target audience
- Designing your own brand voice in 4 steps
- How and why to let go of academic and legal jargon
- Writing in simple and natural language
- Writing clearly about serious topics in official settings
- 4 important tools for boosting engagement
- Tips for writing engaging sign-up forms for websites and apps
- Tips for writing engaging newsletter sign-ups
- How to write a button copy that provides value and increases conversions
- The difference between functional buttons and sales-focused buttons
- What to write next to a button to give users an extra-nudge
- Tips for online store buttons
- How to minimize the need for error messages altogether
- The two most important components every error message must contain
- Words that should never be used in error messages
- When and how to use humor in error messages
- How to minimize the load of copy in a form and still give users all the information and help they need
- How good microcopy reduces calls to customer support (with a case study)
- How to answer any question before it’s even been asked
- How to alleviate potential concerns, for example concerning payment security and free trials
- How to ask for personal details and encourage sign-ups with a social media account
- How to write clear instructions presented as tooltips, assistive copy, placeholders, and ghost text
- Why success messages are so important
- Writing concise success messages for recurring actions
- Writing engaging success messages for meaningful actions
- The 4 most important elements of any success message
- How a success message can lead users to the next step and increase in-product traffic
- The 3 types of empty states
- How empty states can reduce app abandonment rates
- Why a blank empty state is a wasted traffic
- Using empty states to engage users, educate them about the system, and sell more
- Making users feel like time is flying by
- Making users appreciate what they’re getting even more
- How you can creatively fill the short and long periods of time users spend waiting for pages to load
Why 404 pages are overrated
Why 404 pages DO matter
How to write 404 pages designed to help users and businesses alike
The three must-haves for every 404 page
Creator: Kinneret Yifrah
Kinneret is a thought-leader in the UX writing field and a world-renowned microcopy expert. She’s written microcopy for dozens of well-known brands, websites, apps, and complex systems.
She is the curator of The UX Writing Library and leads thousands of writers, designers, and product pros in their journeys towards using writing to create an extraordinary user experience. Her innovative book “Microcopy: The Complete Guide” is in daily use by professionals from more than 50 countries.
Presenter: Merav Levkowitz
What do AT&T, WeWork, and Siemens have in common? They’ve all turned to Merav Levkowitz for UX writing and content services.
Merav is the content strategist, copywriter, and UX writer extraordinaire behind MeravWrites, a boutique content consultancy committed to helping teams take their products and user experiences to the next level through words that hook users and get messages across. Merav presents the course materials in English—with Spanish subtitles available!
There are 11 video lessons in this course. Time estimates fall around 6-8 hours of study and practice work depending on your speed. This course is designed to fit around your schedule—lessons are available on-demand at any time. There is no live instruction, so you’re free to study whenever you have time.
Looking to get certified and make UX writing a full-time career? Dive deeper in our UX Writing Fundamentals course.
- A computer with the latest version of Chrome
- A broadband internet connection
- English comprehension and writing proficiency
- A love for writing, tech, and good communication with humans
Need more info? Read our FAQs